As Governor of Wisconsin, I will create 35,000 jobs in my first term through investments in infrastructure. I will bring 1Gb internet to every household through a public utility. I will join with Minnesota and Illinois to build 200 mph high speed rail linking cities across our region. I will make big corporations pay the true cost of their damage to public roads, saving Wisconsin taxpayers billions each year. And I will implement a healthcare plan that covers every Wisconsinite for a cost that is never more than 9% of your yearly income.
It is time for a new era in Wisconsin government. For leadership that articulates a bold vision for Wisconsin and makes Wisconsinites believe again that the future is brighter than the past. For common sense investments that benefit every Wisconsinite. For elected officials who are not bound by the ideas and ideologies of the past, but who instead work to address new challenges Wisconsinites face. Together, let's build Wisconsin into the economic powerhouse of America's future, full of good paying jobs. And, a Wisconsin that forever remains true to our connection with the land and to our Wisconsin Idea.
My Eight Point Plan for Wisconsin
1. CREATE 35,000 JOBS THROUGH RECORD INVESTMENT IN WISCONSIN'S INFRASTRUCTURE. My first priority is job-creating infrastructure investments that position Wisconsin to be the economic powerhouse of America's future. By bringing 1 Gb internet to every home, building 200 mph high speed rail that connects our region, modernizing our highways to be safer and more efficient, and by making Wisconsin 30% renewable by 2030, we will create 35,000 good paying jobs and boost economic growth in Wisconsin for decades to come.
2. JUST YOU AND YOUR DOCTOR, PERIOD. A HEALTHCARE PLAN FOR WISCONSIN. My healthcare plan for Wisconsin provides full coverage for every Wiconsinite at a cost that is never more than 9% of your income. At the same time, it allows you to choose any doctor or specialist in the whole state of Wisconsin for each exam or procedure. It works like this. I. You will never pay more than 9% of your income for healthcare. II. You can choose any doctor or specialist in the whole state for each exam or procedure. No more expensive insurance companies telling you what you can and can't do. III. You pay the difference between the 33rd percentile of bids in your region and the bid you choose capped at 9% of your income. If you choose a bid that is less expensive than the 33rd percentile of bids, you pay nothing. IV. You do not have to pay anything out of pocket. Simply calculate how much you owe up to 9% of your income, and send a check to the State of Wisconsin.
3. REPEAL SCOTT WALKER'S LEGISLATION THAT BANNED UNIONIZED WORKPLACES. I am a steadfast supporter of unions. Unions give a strong political voice to Wisconsinites, protect our rights in the workplace, and help make sure that Wisconsinites get a fair deal for the work they do. That's why the first thing I will do as Governor is repeal Scott Walker's legislation that banned unionized workplaces.
4. HELP WISCONSINITES GROW WISCONSIN IDEAS AND RESEARCH INTO SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSES. I want advances in medicine, biotech, energy, agriculture, and materials to grow into Wisconsin businesses that create good paying jobs and ship high value exports. I will help you grow your Wisconsin business by awarding competitive grants to small businesses in Wisconsin and creating startup incubators that are attached to our public colleges and universities. These resources will be provided on a competitive basis to Wisconsin small businesses in exchange for an ownership stake held by the people of Wisconsin.
5. IMMEDIATELY RESTORE THE RIGHT OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES TO BARGAIN COLLECTIVELY. I support our teachers and public employees, and I will immediately restore the right of public employees to bargain collectively. I have so much respect for the talented Wisconsinites who work hard every day to make our state a better place to live and work. As Governor, I will work collaboratively with Wisconsin's outstanding public employees to innovate on and improve every department of government.
6. VETO ALL NEW PIPELINE AND MINING PROPOSALS. I love and respect our beautiful state and I know you do too. I also know that when we damage our natural wealth by building pipelines and strip mines, the state of Wisconsin seldom sees an uptick in jobs or any other economic benefit to justify doing so. That's why I will veto all new pipeline and mining proposals.
7. TEST DRINKING WATER ANNUALLY AND PASS LEGISLATION THAT GIVES THE GOVERNOR POWER TO IMMEDIATELY STOP POLLUTERS IF CONTAMINATION IS DETECTED. I will ensure that every Wisconsin resident has clean drinking water by implementing annual tests for heavy metals, petrol-chemicals, and dangerous bacteria for all Wisconsin wells and utilities and by passing legislation that grants the Governor power to immediately stop polluters if contamination is discovered.
8. MAKE SURE EVERY SCHOOL IN WISCONSIN IS FUNDED AT OR ABOVE THE NATIONAL PER-PUPIL AVERAGE. I believe that every Wisconsin kid deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. That's why I will make sure that every school in Wisconsin is funded at or above the national per-pupil average. I will also streamline each educational and career step by providing opportunities for middle, high school, and UW system students to pursue college classes, internships, and research within the framework of their curriculum. And, pass a law that ensures public money is only spent on public schools.
I grew up a couple miles outside of Barneveld, Wisconsin. My dad had a woodworking business when I was a kid, and my mom writes and teaches. I am a third generation Wisconsinite. Three of my grandparents came here from Iowa and the fourth from Missouri. My parents grew up in Madison, where three of my grandparents were professors at the University.
I loved sports as a kid, especially football. I played on the line. I also loved music. I played in the Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestra for three years and was fortunate enough to have my composition "Yangzi" premiered by the WYSO Philharmonia under the direction of Thomas Buchhauser when I was a senior in high school.
During high school, I also became very involved in politics. My local American Legion post gave me the great opportunity to attend Badger Boys State, were I was selected by the Federalist Party as their Gubernatorial nominee. In 2008, I campaigned all summer for the Barack Obama campaign and learned how much I love going door to door talking to voters. I also interned for our great State Senator Dale Schultz. The experience stuck with me strongly. To this day, Dale is one of my leading role models.
I spent my college years at Stanford University, were I earned a Bachelors of Science in Physics. During that time, I developed a passion for grueling outdoor adventures. I climbed mount Shasta, and I hiked the Grand Canyon from the south rim to the north rim and back.
In addition to my physics studies, I have diverse experience in several areas of engineering and science. Software that I wrote is used every day by the Army Corps of Engineers Search and Rescue Team. The software handles communication between their mobile phones and sensors placed on structural elements in disaster zones, allowing them to monitor the situation and alerting them to get out if the building starts to fall.
When I was a senior at Stanford, the Stanford Office of Technology Licensing filed a provisional patent on my invention to create a new programmable micro-technology for mixing chemical and biological reactants with the goal of creating a "personal computer" equivalent of the huge machines that are currently used in research, drug discovery and drug manufacturing. And, with the mission to empower individuals with the same scientific tinkering and drug manufacturing capabilities that are currently restricted to big companies.
Through those, and many more experiences, I want to bring an innovative management style to the Governor's mansion. A culture that hires smart people with an innovative mindset, puts new ideas to the test, and constantly iterates on systems to make them better. Because we need change in the Governor's mansion. Wisconsin is falling behind with the old, stale ideas of our current politics. The people of Wisconsin deserve better. You deserve a government that is just as smart and forward looking as you are.
Paid for by Harlow for Wisconsin PO Box 5412 Madison, WI 53705
This contribution is made from my own funds, and funds are not being provided to me by another person or entity for the purpose of making this contribution.
I am making this contribution with my own personal credit card and not with a corporate or business credit card or a card issued to another person.
I am at least eighteen years old.
I am a U.S. citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident (i.e., green card holder).
Paid for by ActBlue (actblue.com) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.
Contributions or gifts to ActBlue are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes.